Thank you to Well Plated by Erin (wellplated.com) for this super delicious recipe!
1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, plus additional 1-2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil, light olive oil, or canola oil
1/3 cup, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons non-fat milk, unsweetened almond milk, or unsweetened soymilk
1 1/4 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I love Ghirardelli), plus additional for sprinkling on top
1. Place rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×5-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1 cup oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large, separate bowl, beat together the eggs, brown sugar, and oil on medium speed until combined. Add the milk and pumpkin and beat again until evenly combined. Add the dry ingredients, then gently stir them in by hand, just until combined. Do not over mix.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top, then sprinkle with oats and chocolate chips.
6. Bake the loaf for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Place the pan on a cooling rack, then let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Gently turn the loaf out onto the rack to cool completely.